1.01.2007

Aren't you the sovereign God of justice?

To all my Christian readers, especially those who subscribe to reformed theology: The O.C. Supertones have some incredible lyrics. You wouldn't think it based on the image that they have. Most people who grew up in youth group remember hearing about them in the same breath as some shallow, Christian-ska-or-swing bands like the Insyderz or the W's. If you're lucky, you even might associate them with Five Iron Frenzy (slightly silly, but incredibly poetic and powerful at times). However, it is amazing to look at the theological development of lead singer/songwriter Matt Morginsky through his lyrics. His philosophy on church polity and how theology should affect our lives is incredibly mature for someone in his line of work. By far his most complex album is "Loud and Clear". I highly recommend checking it out. You might want to read the lyrics before you listen, especially since the music is a little different from what you might be used to hearing. I put a few of my favorite snippets here. This album has quickly turned into my favorite morning run music since I've recently rediscovered it. Anyway, the music really might be too much for some of you to get into it (it's a weird mix of white-boy rap, ska, and rock), but it is a far cry from his early lyrics.

"What happened to our voice?
What happened to our influence?
Tell me who will listen to uneducated congregants?
And why should they when all we have to say is
Bumper sticker doctrine and cute catch phrases?
Does this amaze us that no one will take us seriously?"
-From "Escape from Reason"

"If you’d saved even one man

Surely this is undeserved
But the saints by your mercy
Stand with you uncountable
Is this not amazing?
Isn’t your name grace?
Aren’t you the sovereign God of justice?
Haven’t we offended?
Did we not crucify?
Guess that we can only wonder why"
-From "Lift Me Up"

"See wisdom and knowledge is one thing that we lack

You’ve been a Christian how long and you’re still on Similac
So I call on Martin Luther and all the reformation
Back
then the common people couldn’t read God’s revelation
You had to be a monk or a priest or read Latin
That was all before the revolution happened
But the fire cooled down ever since that generation
We put down the Bible and pick up the play station
And we can’t defend our faith cause we don’t even know it
We say we love His word but pick a funny way to show it"
-From "Return of the Revolution"

"The rain falls on the righteous and the wicked

Mine is not to reason why this is
In this I rest in this I find my refuge
That my thoughts and ways are not His
I spend my life on looking up the answers
It’s rare that I can’t find a reason why
But reasons fail at children without mothers
His plan is more than I can know

God do you really understand

What it’s like to be a man?
Have You ever felt the weight
Of loving all the
things You hate?
Have You struggled, have You worried?
How can You sympathize?

I have spoken much too soon
Put my hand over my mouth
I can’t contend with You
Your ways are so much higher
And we pass through the fire that Christ endured before us
When You were in the wilderness"
-From "Wilderness"

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

those are some surprisingly good lyrics, although judging by the meter (and having seen the band live once), i'm pretty sure i couldn't take much of the music. they do put on a solid live show, though.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has used the Supertones to speak to me in ways that few have. They are very Reformed, and I love the fact that I ponder God's enormity every time I listen. I received my first Supertones CD, Supertones Strike Back, from the trombone player's father, a government teacher at my high school. I have been a fan to this day and love the challange that God presents through the lyrics.

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Website Counters