3.19.2007

Jaw Surgery Recap

Well, it's been a week and a half since the dreaded surgery. First, and most importantly, my teeth fit together properly now (yay!). Now, for the rest of the story (said in Paul Harvey voice)...

I went in around 11 AM on Thursday, May 8th. I filled out the paperwork, changed into the stupid robe and everything, and lay in a bed for a while. Then, the anesthesia started and they took me in (this was around 12:15). When I came to, it was after 3 (how much after, I don't recall, as I was a bit loopy -- anyone who has been on general anesthesia can relate). The worst part of the whole experience for me was the fact that when I woke up, I had a tube up my nose down into my stomach, pumping out all the blood I had swallowed during the surgery (note to hospitals everywhere: don't use clear tubes if you're going to pump a whole bunch of blood out of the stomach of a patient who is awake, as it is a bit disconcerting for said patient). Anyway, after a while, they took the tube out (which hurt a lot). I hung around for a couple more hours and got home around 7. Tara bought me Guitar Hero II and brought it over with her brother's Playstation, so I didn't get anything read this week (on an unrelated note, I am really good at Guitar Hero II now). Sunday was the peak of the swelling. My face was absolutely huge. I did not look human. If you're lucky, you'll get to see pictures. Anyway, I still look a bit swollen, and have already lost around 10 pounds. I wasn't really in any pain the whole time, since I was on some heavy narcotics.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers and stuff. Many thanks to my mother for fixing all of my meals in a blender. I think I'm going to lose even more weight now that I'm back in Lubbock and have to make my own stuff now. I'll post pictures if I ever get some.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I'm really glad you survived. Sorry I didn't get to stop by the sick ward, but honestly, I feared the whining! (Also, too broke to afford gas to Arlington! Sad day.)

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's all over with. I found the comment about the NG tube hilarious. :)

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Website Counters